North To Alaska With Our Two Grandsons
So.... Grandma and Papa get this great idea.... Take the teenage grandsons to Alaska before the "teenage insanity years" set in!
Little did we know that the "Insanity Years" begin early these days!
We asked, they said "Yes"... and we are off on a great adventure! June 10th, 2002 departure day!
OK Jonathan and Zachary.. All YOU have to do is get 3.0 or better average on your grades! B's or better!
They did well... We are ready to go!
Jonathan is Colleen's son and Zachary belongs to Jeanette. The girls get two weeks off while the grandparents are on-duty!
We had no way to know what we were signing up to except the boys are both good kids with Zachary being twelve and Jon thirteen.
Both are big boys who, until they opened their mouths, passed for much older!
North to Alaska is a 1960 comedic western directed by Henry Hathaway and starring John Wayne and Stewart Granger.
What Are We Getting Into? Traveling With Teens?????
This was taken years ago. You ought to see them now
Connor, Nick, Little Jon, and Zachary!
This was one of the most fun vacations we ever had. The boys were FANTASTIC... Always assisting us, never in too much trouble. They were interested in new things and going on adventures. We hope some day we can do this again!
But first.... what are we getting into? Do we know what we are doing?
- Let's look at the weather?
- Satellite Look!
- Details in Fairbanks
- Fairbanks Weather History
- Anchorage Weather History
We Have A Full Itinerary; Almost Two Weeks!
- Day 1 - Fly to Fairbanks and stay overnight before catching the train to Denali Park
- Day 2-3: Train through Denali and Talkeetna - 356-mile journey you'll see lush farmlands, homesteaders' cabins, bush airstrips, and moose grazing in willow thickets. Weather permitting, several vantage points offer unobstructed views of majestic Mt. McKinley as well.
- Day 5: Stay the evening in Anchorage - At a nice hotel and get ready to rise and shine for the trip to the ship! We catch the Princess.
- Day 6: On The Ship In Seward - An evening departure and the next two days it was wall to wall scenary
- Day 7 - Prince Williams Sound - Magnificant forests and mountains
- Day 8 - Glacier Bay - Want to see an ice berg be born? We saw it happen in front of our eyes
- Day 9 - Skagway - Time to ride the train
- Day 10 - Juneau - The capital
- Day 11 - Ketchikan - Salmon capital of the world
- Day 12 - Inside Passage - Cruising to Canada
- Day 13-15 Victoria and Vancover British Columbia
- Day 15 - Winging our way home
Anchorage Alaska in June! Anchorage, Alaska is a consolidated city-borough (officially called the Municipality of Anchorage) in the U.S. state of Alaska. It is the largest city in the state of Alaska, with 278,700 residents, comprising more than two-fifths (with its metropolitan area, over 50%) of the state's total population.